Finally: I got the plastic up on my mom’s greenhouse recently.
I am beginning to question my sanity in late winter. Really. It’s usually in March that I crazily, stupidly commit to all sorts of extracurricular projects, of which my mother’s new greenhouse was but one. Granted of all of them this one taskoid took the least of my time but it hung the heaviest as my mother lives 50 miles away…so it’s not a quick trip to go fix things up for her. Plus, it’s for my mother, and I said I would do it.
It didn’t help that the greenhouse company shipped us the wrong size of plastic. Oops. That was one wasted day.
Anyway, here it is. She’s a bit of a fool for tomatoes so we have them fairly crowded in there. The soil is topsoil carted in from down the road that’s heavily mixed with mushroom compost. (This is sand we’re building on, after all.)
Using those dipped gloves (clean AND new) really helps get a grip. This is the hold-down system for the plastic. It’s a small channel screwed to the two middle hoops into which I fasten this “wiggle wire.” It helps to have two people do this: one pulls the plastic, the other wrangling the wire. But I did it solo, so… And the two ends have a sandwich of two 1×2 furring strips. These were left to soak in a tarp for a few days (the better to bend and hold their shape) then I tapped the bottom strips to accept the metal-tapping screws. The plastic gets stapled to it, the top strips then screwed to the bottom one with wood screws. Voila. The top one can be unscrewed then to accept the side plastic this fall.
The deer are voracious and bold here too so I put chicken wire over the two open ends and the area below the roll-up side. The ends and side will be open until the nights begin to go frosty. We hope to take down one towering but rather anemic-looking oak in the side yard to give her a lot more sun.