Typhoid Edith

“Hey!” says kitty. “Come here so I can poison you!”

Ugh.  Our new barn kitty, Little Edie, has given both Tom and me poison ivy.

Yes indeed.  Outdoor pets are quite able to pick up the urushiol oil from poison ivy, and carry it around on their fur.  And Edie is such a sweet cat:  unlike our two indoor (lazy, totally standoffish) cats, Edie is a complete attention slut, jumping on you when she sees you and rubbing her little self, and all that poison ivy oil, all over you.

We have learned our lesson, my shirtless husband especially.

11 responses to “Typhoid Edith

  1. I can relate. Last fall I carelessly dried my rainsoaked dogs with a towel that had been left on the porch rack. It was fall; I wasn’t thinking about poison ivy. A few days later I had to give a stenciling estimate with a face swollen with poison ivy. I looked like I had been in a battle. It was not my best presentation.

  2. This explains everything. Can’t wait to tell my husband where his poison ivy came from and why it’s so bad. (and I am awful and laughing my head off)

  3. Ugh, I’m right there itchin’ with you my friend. Went fishin’ last week and brought home more than fish!! Ugh!

  4. So glad I no longer live somewhere that has real problems with poison ivy and poison oak.

    Hope you stop itching soon!

  5. OMGosh, I’m laughing over here too! Sorry.

    Here kitty kitty.

  6. Oh no! That last line almost had me spitting my drink up.

    Well done. Feel better soon!

  7. Ugh! Thanks for going before and giving a heads up, I had no idea a cat’s fur could carry the oil home.

    Before the picture loaded all the way I thought there was a present day Typhoid Mary in Michigan…glad to hear it is only poison ivy, or maybe dying of typhoid has it’s glory in the middle of mad itching!

  8. I am, perhaps, one of the most freaked out people I know when it comes to poison ivy (no, really, I have a total psychotic fear of it), so I sympathize with you. If it gets bad, go to a doctor for some meds that will clear it up quick.

    On the other hand, you wouldn’t really poison that cute little kitty, would you??

  9. Well despite kitty giving the itch that is a really cool picture!

  10. Oh dear. That cat would have to go. I get poison ivy (and here in CA, poison oak) SO BAD that… the cat would have to go.
    Or come inside, all cleaned up, and never go out again.
    Best wishes.

  11. Oh Pamela certainly that beats the little bubbles on my wrist certainly!! Oy!

    Alecto, I laughed pretty hard too. I got it for the first time the WINTER of our first being here: I pruned the grapevines plus I guess a few more other vines. Ick.

    Ang, doesn’t it suck? (Though I am really just laughing at Tom: he has it on his chest, back and really quite bad on his arm.)

    Yipes, Laura, I never encountered the stuff in MN, even with all the hiking I did.

    Jules, ah, but she’s such a dear cat. Just gotta remember to wash our hands afterward. And keep our shirts on.

    Katie: Hah! Should’ve put a warning in there…

    Jennifer, yeah, nothing so dire as typhoid here; just the little itchy blisters.

    A. Laurene, I know! (And I changed the caption: I suppose it could look like we were going to poison her. She’s far too valuable for poisoning. You should see what she caught in the old greenhouse this weekend.) But yes I did end up going to the doc for meds the first time I got it. Pretty awful stuff.

    Thanks, John! I love that kooky tree. It’s getting taken down late this fall, though (power line issue).

    CC: well, we’ve learned our lesson. But she seriously is the most valuable little barncat, and so sweet. Just…don’t touch anything after you pet her.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s